Pages

Saturday 30 May 2009

BACCALAUREATE EXAM EXERCISES: ENGLISH TENSES

BACCALAUREATE EXAM EXERCISES: ENGLISH TENSES

THE PAST CONTINUOUS

We use the Past Continuous to talk about past actions in progress. The actions can also be interrupted by something plus there are several other uses.
I was jogging in the street when somebody stopped me and asked what time it was.

Use

1.Actions in progress in the past

At 3 p.m., I was having lunch.

Last night at 6 PM, I was eating dinner.

Yesterday at this time, I was sitting at my desk at work.

The last time I saw him, he was driving his car to work.

The first time we met, she was working as a secretary.

Were you painting your house yesterday at 5 p.m.?

He asked me why I wasn't having dinner at the hotel.

At midnight, we were still driving through the mountains.

2.Interrupted actions in progress

I was eating my breakfast when the telephone rang.

They were talking about her when she walked into the room.

Safaa was driving back home when the car ran out of petrol.

Was she going to the theatre when it started raining?

What were you doing when the baby fell off the sofa?

we weren't playing football when he broke his leg.

I was watching TV when she called.

When the phone rang, she was writing a letter.

While we were having the picnic, it started to rain.

I was listening to my iPod, so I didn't hear you knocking.

You were not listening to me when I told you to turn the TV off.

While Jabir was sleeping last night, someone stole his car.

Sa’ad was waiting for us when we got off the bus.

While I was writing the email, the computer suddenly went off.

What were you doing when you broke your leg?

I was cycling.

3.Actions in progress at the same time in the past. (parallel / simultaneous actions)

I was studying while he was making dinner.

While Hazim was reading, Talal was watching television.

Were you listening while he was talking?

I wasn't paying attention while I was writing the letter, so I made several mistakes.

What were you doing while you were waiting?

They were eating dinner, discussing their plans, and having a good time.

While Kawtar was cleaning the living room, Zahira was washing the dishes.

4.Irritation / complaining

She was always coming to class late.

He was constantly talking. He annoyed everyone.

I didn't like them because they were always complaining.

Time expressions / signal words

yesterday

last night / week / month etc.

the last time

the first time

the other day

a day ago

two weeks ago etc.

earlier today / this week etc

while

when

No comments:

Post a Comment