Pages

Wednesday 14 April 2010

REPORTED SPEECH PRACTICE ANSWERS

REPORTED SPEECH PRACTICE ANSWERS

PRACTICE 1

Note: that can be used after the main verb in all these sentences.

1 She said (that) she was very tired.

2 He said (that) he would see them soon.

3 She said (that) she was going to the cinema.

4 He said (that) he saw the children quite often.

5 She said (that) she was having a bath.

6 He said (that) he'd already met their parents.

7 She said (that) she'd stayed in a hotel for a few weeks.

8 He said (that) he had to go home to make the dinner.

9 She said (that) she hadn't been waiting long.

10 He said (that) he was listening to the radio.

11 She said (that) she'd tell them the news on Saturday.

12 He said (that) he liked swimming, dancing and playing tennis.

13 She said (that) she could drive.

14 He said (that) he'd walked home after the party.

15 She said (that) she was going to be sick.

16 He said (that) he had to go out to post a letter.

17 She said (that) she'd spoken to Jane last week.

18 He said (that) he was trying to listen to the music.

19 She said(that) she'd phone the office from the airport.

20 He said (that) he couldn't speak any foreign languages.

PRACTICE 2

Note: that can be used after the main verb in all these sentences.

1 She said (that) she'd see me the next day.

2 He said (that) he'd seen her that day.

3 She said (that) she didn't like the film.

4 She said (that) they'd gone swimming that day.

5 She said (that) she'd see Mary the following Sunday.

6 He said (that) he'd met her about three months previously/before.

7 She said (that) Pete and Sue were getting married the next day.

8 He said (that) Stephen was bringing some records to the party that night.

9 She said (that) she really liked the furniture.

10 She said (that) her parents were arriving the next day.

11 They said (that) they had visited her-that morning.

12 They said (that) they'd see her the following week.,

13 He said (that) they had been there three months before/previously.

14 He said (that) he was meeting them at four o'clock that day.

15 She said (that) she could see me the following day.

PRACTICE 3

1 He wanted to know what my name was.

2 She asked how old I was.

3 I asked when the train left.

4 He asked how I was.

5 My mother wanted to know who I had seen at the meeting.

6 He wanted to know why I had taken his wallet.

7 She asked how I had got to school.

8 The boy wanted to know where I lived.

9 She asked why Judy hadn't been at the party.

10 My father wanted to know why I hadn't telephoned.

11 The teacher demanded to know why I was so late.

12 The judge inquired why the police hadn't reported the crime.

13 He demanded to know why I wouldn't let him in.

14 We inquired what time the plane arrived.

15 She asked who I wanted to talk to.

PRACTICE 4

Note: whether can be used instead of if in all these sentences.

1 She asked if/whether I liked Marlon Brando.

2 He asked if/whether I was enjoying myself.

3 She asked if/whether my father worked there.

4 He asked if I lived near my family.

5 She asked if I was a foreigner.

6 He asked if I had met Danny before.

7 She asked if I was hungry.

8 He asked if I had borrowed his dictionary.

9 She asked if I had finished my exams.

10 He asked if I had invited Judy and Pat.

11 She asked if my brother lived in London.

12 He asked if I knew who had broken the window.

13 She asked if they had told me when they were leaving.

14 He asked if I had lent them my camera.

15 She asked if I had hurt myself.

PRACTICE 5

1 He told Mary to sit down.

2 The children's mother warned them not to go near the sea.

3 Tim's father told him not to be late.

4 The librarian told the children to be quiet.

5 The officer ordered the men not to shoot.

6 The inspector told us to have our tickets ready.

7 The landlady told us not to use the telephone after eleven o'clock.

8 The receptionist told us to leave our keys on the desk.

9 The customs officer told us to have our passports ready.

10 My boss told me to finish the job tonight/that night.

11 The general ordered the soldiers to run.

12 My mother told me to open the door.

13 My father told me not to spend too much money on my holiday.

14 He told me to hurry up.

15 She told me not to be frightened.

No comments:

Post a Comment