Pages

Wednesday 7 April 2010

2BAC WRITING HINTS N’ TIPS FOR INFORMAL LETTERS OR EMAILS

BAC WRITING HINTS N’ TIPS FOR INFORMAL LETTERS OR EMAILS

Writing informal letters and emails involves writing letters or emails to friends or relatives.
When writing an informal letter or email our language is more relaxed and we are able to use contacted forms ( I’m instead of I am) which is rare in other forms of English writing, except perhaps when using direct speech.
You may find some useful phrases below.
Look also at Writing Formal Letters and Emails and compare.

USEFUL PHRASES FOR INFORMAL LETTER WRITING

INFORMAL LETTERS

GREETINGS:

Dear Jim,

Hello Jim,

Hi Jim,

INFORMAL LETTERS

INTRODUCTORY PARAGRAPH:

Sorry I haven't written for ages.

Sorry it's taken me so long to write.

How's it going?

How are you?

How are things with you?

How are things?

AN INFORMAL LETTER REFERRING TO GOOD NEWS:

Glad to hear about…

I'm really glad to hear about….

I'm very happy to hear about….

I was very happy to read about….

Great news about your….

AN INFORMAL LETTER REFERRING TO BAD NEWS:

I'm extremely sorry to hear about….

I'm very sorry to hear about….

Sorry to read about….

It’s very sad to hear about your….

I can't tell you how sad I am that….

INFORMAL LETTERS

INTRODUCING POINTS

By the way,….

Did you hear about……?

Did you see……?

Have you seen…..?

Tell me about……?

Oh, another thing……..

ENDING AN INFORMAL LETTER OR EMAIL:

Well, time to go.

Well, it's time to go.

Well, got to go.

Well, time to close.

I've got to leave off now. Write soon.

Make sure you write soon.

Love.

Lots of love.

All my love.

Will write again soon.

Look after yourself.

Take care of yourself.

All the best.

Everything good.

No comments:

Post a Comment