Pages

Wednesday 14 April 2010

REPORTED SPEECH PRACTICE

REPORTED SPEECH PRACTICE

Practice 1

Write these sentences in indirect speech.

1 'I'm very tired,' she said. She said she was very tired.

2 'I'll see them soon,' he said. He said he would see them soon.

3 'I'm going to the cinema,' she said.

4 'I see the children quite often,' he said.

5 'I'm having a bath,' she said.

6 'I've already met their parents,' he said.

7 'I stayed in a hotel for a few weeks,' she said.

8 'I must go home to make the dinner,' he said.

9 'I haven't been waiting long,' she said.

10 'I'm listening to the radio,' he said.

11 'I'll tell them the news on Saturday,' she said.

12 'I like swimming, dancing and playing tennis,' he said.

13 'I can drive,' she said.

14 'I walked home after the party,' he said.

15 'I'm going to be sick,' she said.

16 'I must go out to post a letter,' he said.

17 'I spoke to Jane last week,' she said.

18 I'm trying to listen to the music,' he said.

19 'I'll phone the office from the airport,' she said.

20 'I can't speak any foreign languages,' he said.

Practice 2

Write these sentences in indirect speech, changing words where necessary.

1 'I'll see you tomorrow,' she said. She said she'd see me the next day.

2 'I saw her today,' he said.He said he'd seen her that day.

3 'I don't like this film,' she said.

4 She said, 'We went swimming today.'

5 'I'll see Mary on Sunday,' she said.

6 'I met her about three months ago,' he said.

7 'Pete and Sue are getting married tomorrow,' she said.

8 'Stephen's bringing some records to the party tonight,' he said.

9 'I really like this furniture,' she said.

10 'My parents are arriving tomorrow,' she said.

11 'We visited her this morning,' they said.

12 'We'll see her next week,' they said.

13 'They were here three months ago,' he said.

14 'I'm meeting them at four o'clock today,' he said.

15 'I can see you tomorrow,' she said.

Practice 3

Write these sentences as reported questions, using the words given. Change you to I,

etc. where necessary.

1 'What's your name?' he asked, (wanted to know) He wanted to know what my name was.

2 'How old are you?' she said, (asked] She asked how old I was.

3 'When does the train leave?' I asked, (asked)

4 'How are you?' he said, (asked)

5 'Who did you see at the meeting?' my mother said, (wanted to know)

6 'Why did you take my wallet?' he asked, (wanted to know)

7 'How did you get to school?' she said, (asked)

8 'Where do you live?' the boy asked, (wanted to know)

9 'Why wasn't Judy at the party?' she asked, (asked)

10 'Why didn't you telephone?' my father asked, (wanted to know)

11 'Why are you so late?' the teacher asked, (demanded to know)

12 'Why didn't the police report the crime?' the judge asked, (inquired)

13 'Why won't you let me in?' he shouted, (demanded to know)

14 'What time does the plane arrive?' we asked, (inquired)

15 'Who do you want to talk to?' she said, (asked)

Practice 4

Write these sentences as reported questions. Change you to I, etc. where necessary.

1 'Do you like Marlon Brando?' she asked. She asked if I liked Marlon Brando.

2 'Are you enjoying yourself?' he asked. He asked whether I was enjoying myself.

3 'Does your father work here?' she asked.

4 'Do you live near your family?' he asked.

5 'Are you a foreigner?' she asked.

6 'Have you met Danny before?' he asked.

7 'Are you hungry?' she asked.

8 'Did you borrow my dictionary?' he asked.

9 'Have you finished your exams?' she asked.

10 'Did you invite Judy and Pat?' he asked.

11 'Does your brother live in London?' she asked.

12 'Do you know who broke the window?' he asked.

13 'Did they tell you when they were leaving?' she asked.

14 'Did you lend them your camera?' he asked.

15 'Have you hurt yourself?' she asked.

Practice 5

Write these sentences in indirect speech, using the words given. Note that some

words may have to be changed.

1 'Sit down Mary.' (he told) He told Mary to sit down.

2 'Don't go near the sea, children.' (the children's mother warned) The children's

mother warned them not to go near the sea.

3 'Don't be late, Tim.' (Tim's father told)

4 'Be quiet, children.' (the librarian told)

5 'Don't shoot, men!' (the officer ordered)

6 'Have your tickets ready, please.' (the inspector told us)

7 'Don't use the telephone after eleven o'clock.' (the landlady told us)

8 'Leave your keys on the desk, please.' (the receptionist told us)

9 'Have your passports ready, please.' (the customs officer told us)

10 'Finish the job tonight, please.' (my boss told me)

11 'Run!' (the general ordered the soldiers)

12 'Open the door, please.' (my mother told me)

13 'Don't spend too much money on your holiday.' (my father told me)

14 'Hurry up.' (he told me)

15 'Don't be frightened.' (she told me)

No comments:

Post a Comment