Pages

Monday 27 April 2009

CONDITIONAL CLAUSES : SECOND CONDITIONAL

CONDITIONAL CLAUSES

SECOND CONDITIONAL

We use the Second Conditional to talk about a future situation that is unlikely or impossible to happen and to give advice. It’s unreal present.

The verb in the if-clause is in the past tense; the verb in the main clause is in the conditional tense:

If someone stole my bag, I would immediately contact the police. (But I don't think that anyone will try to steal the bag. The meaning here is future.)

If I had money, I would buy a house in Monte Carlo. (But I don't have the money. The meaning here is present)

There is no difference between the first and second conditionals as far as time is concerned. The first conditional, like the second conditional refers to the present or future. The past tense in the if-clause is not a true past but a subjunctive, which indicates improbability or unreality.

Use

1.When the supposition is contrary to known facts.

"If I lived in New Karia, I wouldn't have to commute there each day." (But I don't live in Karia.)

"If I were you, I would plant some trees in your garden." (But I'm not you)

2.When we don't expect the action in the if-clause to happen:

"If I saw a ghost, I would run as fast as I could." (But I don't expect to see a ghost.)

"If I bought an Alpha Romeo, everyone would admire me." (But I don't intend to buy a car.)

Possible variations of the basic form:

Variations of the main clause might or could may be used instead of would:

If you tried again, you would succeed. (certain result)

If you tried again, you might succeed. (possible result)

If I knew her number, I could ring her up. (ability)

If he had a permit, he could get a job. (ability or permission)

The continuous conditional form may be used instead of the simple conditional form:

Salma is on holiday; she is touring Italy.

"If I were on holiday I would / might be touring Italy too."

REMEMBER REMEMBER REMEMBER

When we are using conditional type two, we are imagining a situation which is untrue. It is contrary to facts, to reality. We are in fact talking about a situation in the present and we express it with a verb in the simple past.

Situation / fact / reality:

I’m not rich. So I…….

If I were rich, I would……… In this conditional sentence I’m just imagining being rich.

I’m poor. So I…….

If I weren’t poor, I might / could / would……Again , I’m just imagining I’m not poor but in fact I’m poor.

I don’t have a passport. So I can’t travel abroad and I will stay in the “ bled “.

If I had a passport, I could / would be able to / might / would travel abroad and I wouldn’t stay in the “ bled “.

But the reality is that I will stay in the “ bled “ and I won’t / can’t travel abroad because simply I don’t have a passport.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for all your hard work for us teacher.What would we do without you?

    ReplyDelete