Pages

Monday 19 May 2014

ENGLISH TENSES THE SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE


ENGLISH TENSES

THE SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE

A. USE

1. The simple present is used to describe a present situation.


I work in Berlin. (I work now and will work for the future).
He is a hardworking student.

2. The simple present is used to indicate habitual actions or events that regularly happen.


She often goes to work late.
The child usually drinks milk before going to bed.
 
3. The simple present is used to express general truths such as scientific fact.


Water freezes at 0 C. (A scientific fact)
Water boils at 100 C.

4. The simple present is also used in expressions like "I think, I know, I see, etc."


I think you are a hardworking student.
I know you're right.

5. The simple present can also be used to talk about the future..


You'll succeed if you study harder.
I'll visit Taj Mahal Palace if I go to India.
The bus leaves at seven o'clock.
I have an important examination tomorrow.

6. The simple present tense is also used with certain verbs (like, taste, believe, sound, feel, hear, remember, weigh, smell, etc)


I don't believe you.
She doesn't love me.

B. Signal words / time markers
every day,
always,
often,
normally,
usually,
regularly,
sometimes,
occasionally,
seldom,
on Sundays,
at weekends
generally,
never...
every day/ week/ month...
once / twice / three times... a week/ day / month / year...
First., then.,
afterwards...................................

C. STRUCTURE

Positive Structure:
I
work
in a bank.
You
work
He
works
She
works
It
works
We
work
They
work

Negative Structure:

I
don't

in a bank.
You
don't

He
doesn't

She
doesn't
work
It
doesn't

We
don't

They
don't


Question structure:

Do
I

in a bank?
Do
You

Does
He

Does
She
work
Does
It

Do
We

Do
They

TO BE IN SIMPLE PRESENT TENSE
I
am  
a teacher
You
are
a student
He
is
a boy
She
is
a girl
It
is
a dog
We
are
students
They
are
people





ENJOYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!




And Blessed Are The Ones Who Care For Their Fellow Men!

No comments:

Post a Comment