Pages

Sunday 5 July 2009

CONDITIONALS 2 : TYPE 1 , TYPE 2 AND TYPE 3

CONDITIONALS 2 : TYPE 1 , TYPE 2 AND TYPE 3

Students sometimes have difficulty with conditional sentences, either

because they cannot find the appropriate type of condition to suit

the situation, or because they make mistakes with the sequence of

tenses. Here, I’ll only be dealing with the three basic types of

condition, commonly referred to as Type 1, Type 2 and Type 3.

CONDITIONAL TYPE 2

TYPE 2

PRESENT CONDITIONAL

UNREAL PRESENT

Unfortunately, we cannot always do the things we would like to do,

but this does not stop us from imagining or dreaming about what

we would do if circumstances permitted. Let us look at Sam’s case.

He is a student, with very little free time, who often day-dreams:

I’d (would) go out with my friends. But the reality is that

I don’t go out with my friends because I have very little free time.

I’d (would) read a lot of books. But I don’t read a lot of books

because of the very little time I have.

I’d (watch) watch more films. But in fact I watch fewer films.

If I had more free time, I’d (would) read a lot of books.

I’d (would) go out with my friends If I had more free time.

These activities are not possible at the moment because Sam

doesn’t have enough free time. He is just imagining the things

he would do if circumstances were different.

Summary:

When is conditional type 2 used?

When we imagine the consequences of present or future activities

and situations which are not very probable or which do not even exist.

1.To talk about the present when the event in the if-clause is not

true because of the circumstances(impossible present situations):

I could go on a world tour if I was / were rich. ( Now / in fact /

in reality I'm not rich.)

Going on a world tour is merely a dream.

2. To talk about the future when the event in the if-clause is

unlikely to happen due to circumstances (imagined events in the

future, which are impossible, unreal or unlikely):

I’d buy a limousine if I got that job. (I don't think / it’s unlikely

that I will get the job.)

Buying a limousine will be impossible because I won’t get that job.

If I went by train now, I would get there earlier. (present)

If they flew tomorrow, they would be able to see the festival. (future)

If I had more money, I would lend you some. (present)

To conclude, the second conditional / present conditional describes

imaginary or unlikely situations.

Which tenses do we need?

1. If + simple past + I would (do)

I would (do) + if + simple past

If he were rich he would buy a big house.

He would buy a big house if he were rich. (But he isn’t rich, so

he can’t buy a big house.)

If she were a doctor, she would help sick people.

She would help sick people if she were a doctor.

If they lived in the city, they would go to the cinema more often

If we went to live in England, we’d (would) learn English very quickly.

If I were you, I would go to bed earlier.

2. If + simple past + I could / might (do)

I could / might (do) + if + simple past

If you tried again, you would succeed.

If you tried again, you might succeed.

You might succeed if you tried again.

If you tried again, you could succeed.

You could succeed if you tried again.

If he applied for the post, he would get it.

If she studied a bit harder, she could succeed.

If you asked him, he might help you.

No comments:

Post a Comment