Pages

Monday 6 July 2009

REPORTED SPEECH : REPORTING ADVICE

REPORTED SPEECH : REPORTING ADVICE

1. Most of the sentences expressing advice should be reported by

the verb “advise”.

Advise

To advise someone to do something

"If I were you, I would see a physician very soon."

He advised me to see a physician very soon.

"You should have some rest."

I advised him / her to have some rest.

“I should phone her if I were you,” said Pedro.

Pedro advised me to phone her.

2. Advice expressed by “You had better” can be reported unchanged

but can also be reported by advise:

He said, 'You'd better tell your Dad.'

He said I'd better tell Dad.

OR

He advised me to tell Dad.

3. “I / we had better” will normally be reported unchanged:

He said, “I'd better wait.”

He said he had better wait.

4. “Why don't you” often introduces suggestions or advice and is

then reported by suggest or advise:

“Why don't you ask them?” I said.

I advised him / her to ask them.

5. Advice expressed by “ought to” is normally reported unchanged:

“The government ought to build more schools and hospitals in the

area,” said the deputy.

The deputy said that the government ought to build more schools

and hospitals in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment