Pages

Friday 20 February 2009

Verbs Followed by Infinitives

Verbs Followed by Infinitives

agree
Talal agreed to help me.


appear
His health appeared to be better.


arrange
Nawal arranged to stay with her cousin in Midelt.


ask
She asked to leave.


begin
He began to talk.


can't bear
He can't bear to be alone.


can't stand
Narjiss can't stand to work the late shift.


care
He doesn't care to participate in the activity.


cease
The government ceased to provide free healthcare.


choose
I chose to help.


claim
She claimed to be a princess.


continue
She continued to talk.


decide
We decided to go to Sidi Harazem.


demand
He demanded to speak to Mr. Hilali.


deserve
He deserves to go to jail.


dread
I dread to think what might happen.


expect
They expect to arrive early.


fail
He failed to get enough money to pay for the new project.


forget
I forgot to lock the door when I left.


get (be allowed to)
Anissa gets to go to the concert next week! Why can't I?


happen
She happened to be at the bank when it was robbed.


hate
He hates to clean dishes.


hesitate
She hesitated to tell me the problem.


hope
I hope to begin college this year.


intend
We intend to visit you next spring.


learn
I learned to speak French when I was a kid.


like
Samira likes to read.
love
We love to scuba dive.


manage
He managed to open the door without the key.


need
I need to study.


neglect
She neglected to tell me the date of the meeting.


offer
Fawzi offered to drive us to the supermarket.


plan
We plan to go to Essaouira this summer.


prefer
He prefers to eat at 7 PM.


prepare
They prepared to take the test.


pretend
The child pretended to be a monster.


promise
She promised to stop smoking.


propose
Idriss proposed to pay for the trip.


refuse
The guard refused to let them enter the building.


regret
I regret to inform you that your application was rejected.


remember
Did you remember to lock the door when you left?


seem
Nadir seemed to be disappointed.


start
Maryam started to talk really fast.


swear
She swore to tell the truth.


tend
He tends to be a little shy.


threaten
He threatened to leave forever.
try
Mary tried to lift the table, but it was too heavy.
vow
He vowed to get revenge.
wait
She waited to buy a movie ticket.
want
I want to study Spanish.
wish
I wish to stay.
would like [(meaning "wish" or "want")
We would like to start now.
yearn
Melanie yearns to travel somewhere exotic.

No comments:

Post a Comment