Pages

Thursday 27 January 2011

THE MOROCCAN BACCALAUREATE ENGLISH EXAM

THE MOROCCAN BACCALAUREATE ENGLISH EXAM

The information technology revolution is creating a divided society according to a report by the electronics firm, LOROMA. Those who have no access to electronic information could be at a disadvantage in the employment market. The report warned that the working class and unemployed people, in particular, could fall into the "information void". Older people risk missing out opportunities to make their lives easier such as online shopping. 'Having a population with no knowledge of information technology – to prepare the country for the future- means that the society will fall further and further behind in the ability to take advantage of everything that technology has to offer,' the report says.

Switched on

Ron Stanley’s home is full of computer equipment. The 26-year old accountant admits, 'I feel I have the latest thing, the fastest machine that is available.' He was given his first computer when he was 12. 'I loved the games, then when I went to college, I started using personal computers properly,' He still loves playing games and has recently bought two new game machines. He also has a new PC with Internet connection and fax modem. ‘My parents gave me a computer when I was younger; that’s why I have become so interested in them.

Turned off

At 35, Susie Vincent feels as if the information revolution has passed her by. ‘Computers don’t interest me at all. Everybody talks about surfing the net, downloading new software and sending e mails – it makes me feel so old-fashioned. But I’d prefer to pick up the phone or write a note.’ She agrees that her dislike of computers is partly caused by fear. ‘It annoys me. I am an intelligent, professional woman, but when someone mentions technology, my brain switches off. And I feel stupid because I don’t understand. My daughter is only ten, but she has no fear of computers. Nobody taught me about them when I was at school so I have no confidence in using them. As time passes, I feel the gap between people like me and people who understand computers is getting wider and wider. I worry that there are millions of people on the job market who have computer knowledge. I m afraid it will damage my chances of moving on or changing jobs.’

COMPREHENSION:

BASE YOUR ANSWERS ON THE TEXT

A/ ANSWER THE FOLLOWING QUESTIONS:

1. Why is Ron Stanley’s home full of computer equipment?

2. Why doesn’t Susie Vincent feel comfortable with computers?

B/ ARE THESE SENTENCES TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY:

1. The working class and the unemployed people will be the most affected by

information technology.

2. Susie thinks she will find it difficult to change jobs in the future.


C/ FIND IN THE TEXT WORDS OR EXPRESSIONS THAT MEAN THE SAME AS:

1. Buying things through the Internet (paragraph 1): ……………………………

2. Correctly (paragraph 2): ……………………………….

3. Out-dated (paragraph 3): …………………………


D/ COMPLETE THESE SENTENCES ACCORDING TO THE TEXT:

1. In order to prepare a country for the future, the population must……………

2. Ron Stanley’s interest in PCs started when …………….

3. Unlike her mother, Susie’s daughter………………….

LANGUAGE:

A/ FILL IN THE BLANKS WITH THE APPROPRIATE WORDS IN BRACKETS:

Some urban agencies have thought about more 1 …………………………. ( effective / efficient ) ways of reducing the pollution that exists in 2 ……………………… ( industrious / industrial) cities and which …………….. ( affects /effects ) people’s health. These ways will certainly 4………………. ( assure / ensure) a better and safer life to the inhabitants of these cities.

B/ FILL IN THE BLANKS WITH THE APPROPRIATE ARTICLE WHERE NECESSARY:

1. My friend Jamal is going to study ______ Physics at _________ university

2. What ___________ beautiful weather! Why don’t we go out for _________ walk?

3. No one can deny that __________ computer is __________ important invention.

4. Ali : What’s _________ longest river in Africa?

Nadia: I don’t know Perhaps __________Nile!



C/ REWRITE THESE SENTENCES YSING THE WORDS GIVEN:

1.It’s not necessary to take a taxi. The theatre is just round the corner.

We ………………………………………………………

2.Hard work causes a lot of stress.

………………………………………is due to ………………………….

3.It’s forbidden for passengers to use mobile phones on the plane.

Passengers aren’t ……………………………

4.You shouldn't leave medicines within children’s reach.

Medicines ………………………………………………………….

D/ MATCH THE FUNCTIONS IN COLUMN A WITH WHAT THEY EXPRESS IN COLUMN B:

COLUMN A

1. You may leave if you don’t feel well.

2. Patients have to follow their doctors’ advice.

3. As far as I'm concerned, newspapers are the best means to get well Informed.

COLUMN B
a- opinion
b. cause and effect
c- permission
d- obligation

WRITING:

"Nowadays an illiterate person is someone who does not know how to use a computer."

Write a letter to the editor of your school magazine giving your opinion and illustrating your arguments with examples from real life.


No comments:

Post a Comment